Sunday, February 20, 2022

Washington, D.C.

I was a tourist in Washington, D.C. for a few days in February. I last visited in 1998 with my old friend John.

The Capitol building, Washington Monument and World War II Memorial, and the Lincoln Memorial. My friend Buck suggested shooting the monuments at night.




The Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial is on the Tidal Basin, across from the Jefferson Memorial.

The Eisenhower Memorial is near the Air and Space Museum. The MLK and Eisenhower memorials are both new since I last visited.

I went to the National Museum of American History, on the mall. Hank Aaron in his Milwaukee Braves gear.

The museum had a nice section on Silicon Valley, which was kind of a miniature Computer History Museum. Among other things, they had a Xerox Alto and an Altair 8800.


The National Gallery of Art was the high point for me, lots of great stuff there. This picture is Degas's "Little Dancer Aged Fourteen." I like Waldemar Januszczak's Perspective art documentaries, and he discusses this piece at length here (at 28:29).

I went to the National Archives to see the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. I was surprised that they also had an original (of the 1297 version of the) Magna Carta. Pictures aren't allowed inside the building but here are some kids skating outside it.

Ford's Theatre.

Arlington Cemetery.

Here's an old picture of John walking next to the reflecting pool, from our 1998 visit.