Thursday, December 31, 2015

Vienna

Vienna was the center of the Hapsburg empire, which ruled much of central Europe from the middle ages through WWI, and was the center of the classical music world, with many of the great composers working there.

The Hofburg was the Hapsburg palace complex. The most striking part of the complex is the front colonnade, which was only completed as the Hapsburg’s long history was ending with WWI.


The Michaelplatz is the older grand entrance, and opens onto a posh shopping district. I loved the heroic statues there.


I also visited the Hapsburg crypt nearby, which has an epic collection of royal caskets. Most had a common style - elaborate, often morbid decorations in industrial-looking iron - which made the crypt awesomely creepy.

The Stephansdom cathedral is the heart of Vienna.

The Karlskirche is the city's "most outstanding baroque church." The ceiling fresco was being restored when I visited, so I was able to take an elevator up to see the fresco up close, and to see Vienna from the church’s steeple.


I also got to enjoy some of Vienna’s music and art. I saw the Merry Widow at the Volksoper, Verdi’s MacBeth at the Staatsoper, and the apartment where Mozart lived while he wrote the Magic Flute, which is a just a few blocks from the Stephansdom. The Belvedere museum had Klimt’s paintings, including The Kiss, the natural history museum had the prehistoric Venus of Willendorf. My picture is the Staatsoper.

Last but not least, I also got to see Samuel’s thesis defense - congratulations Dr. de Sousa!